Sunday, September 16, 2012

Syntax

Hindi uses a different word order than English. The main differences are that verbs are placed at the end of the sentence (like in German) and that Hindi (like other Indian languages) uses postpositions instead of prepositions. Postpositions are like prepositions except that they are written after the noun.

Normal sentencesEnglish: Subject Verb Object => I learn Hindi
Hindi: Subject Object Verb => I Hindi learn

English: Subject Verb Preposition Object => I go to the shop
Hindi: Subject Object Postposition Verb => I shop to go

Imperative sentences

English: Verb Place Adverb => Come here now
Hindi: Place Adverb Verb => Here now come

English: Verb Negative Verb Adverb => Do not eat quickly
Hindi: Adverb Negative Verb => Quickly not eat

Interrogate sentences

English: Adverb Aux.Verb Subject Verb => What are you drawing?
Hindi: Subject Adverb Verb => You what draw?

2 comments:

  1. I Learn Hindi. (SVO)
    I Hindi Learn. (SOV)
    Mae Hindi Shekh raha hu. (is this correct?)

    ReplyDelete